sound compress

Hi , guys

This is Jiajun from Caltech . Now our lab wants to compress sound for some
psychophysics experiments . What we want to do is not compressing data,
but compress in the time scale , say , compress a 2 seconds sound file to
a 1 sec file without changing the pitch too much , so the sound is still
understandable .  We found some software on Mac can do it , however , since
our lab does not has a Mac , we can not install it .   I wonder if any of you
know if there is this kinds of software available for UNIX machines , or
the principle how this kind of compression is done , so probably we can write
some code by ourselves.
Any suggestion from you will be fully appreciated .
Thank you for your time.

Jiajun