JASA

> I am planning to write to the ASA requesting that they give

> members the option of not receiving the journal, and paying

> an appropriately reduced membership fee.

The following fourteen auditory list members (listed below) have
written to me in support of the above proposal.

Bill Gardner <billg@media.mit.edu>
Bill Woods <wsw@buenga.bu.edu>
James Beauchamp <beaucham@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>
Judith Brown <Judith.Brown@ircam.fr>
Bob Carlyon <bobc@epvax.sussex.ac.uk>
Bernice Laden <bladen@u.washington.edu>
Krishna Govindarajan <krishna@park.bu.edu>
Rebecca Mercuri <mercuri@gradient.cis.upenn.edu>
David Rosenthal <dfr@brazil.imrf.or.jp>
Andrew Lea <andrew@hip.atr.co.jp>

Barry Eggen <eggenjh@prl.philips.nl>
Dik Hermes <hermes@prl.philips.nl>
Greg Sandell  <sandell@epunix.sussex.ac.uk>
Dirk Povel <POVEL@nici.kun.nl>

Two of the above indicated that they would would be in favor of the
option, but would not take the option themselves. Two others wrote
that they had resigned from the ASA in order to avoid receiving the
journal!

*************

Three respondents opposed the proposed option.

Along similar lines, Kathy Barsz <BARSZ@uno.cc.geneseo.edu> wrote:

> I could only support your suggestion about reduced ASA membership
> for those not wishing to receive the journal if it wouldn't make

> the journal more expensive for those wishing to receive it

> (because the cost would be spread across fewer people) or those

> wishing to publish in it (because of increased page charges). I

> would suggest instead that those not needing it donate it to

> libraries that can't afford it and are at  institutions with

> people working in the field. I remember Houtsma pointing
> out that very few European libraries can afford the journal.

*************

Here are some additional suggestions that I received.

Hugh Secker-Walker <hugh@ear.mit.edu> and Krishna Govindarajan

<krishna@PARK.BU.EDU> suggested sending only the table of contents of
each issue. (I would suggest sending the abstracts as well.)

Robert Zatorre <MD37@musica.mcgill.ca> suggested that the journal be
split into two parts, say, physical acoustics vs.
biological/psychological acoustics.

Josh Krieger <joshk@bbn.com> and Pierre Divenyi
<marva4!EarLab.UUCP!pierre@ucdavis.edu> suggested that JASA articles
be made available electronically. Pierre pointed out that the charge
for that privilege may be just as high as (if not higher than) the
current membership+JASA fee.

Greg Sandell <sandell@epunix.sussex.ac.uk> wrote that

> Point no. 2 [Many members read only a small fraction of

> each issue], while true, is probably not relevant.

> We don't want to send the impression that we believe JASA

> to consist of a lot of irrelevant articles.  I'd rather

> affirm that JASA does a great job of addressing all the

> different areas of acoustics, from the obscure to the

> well-known, and that large issues are a price we gladly

> pay for that plurality.

*****************

I now plan to write to the ASA in a week or so, including most of the
above information, and suggesting that the following two additional
options appear on future membership forms:

* Please send my copy of JASA to an acoustician or library who cannot
afford ASA membership (regular membership fee).
* Please do not send me the journal at all (reduced fee).

In both the above cases, the member would receive only the contents
and abstracts of each issue. ***NB***: The reduction in membership
fee for those not receiving the journal need not correspond to the
"real cost" per member of the journal (whatever that may be), but to
some appropriate fraction of that cost (say, one half). That way,
members of ASA who chose not to receive the journal would still
subsidize it, but to a lesser extent than the journal recipients.

I hope that sounds reasonable. Further suggestions are welcome.

Richard Parncutt