As promised, here is the bibliography of references people suggested,
prompted by my question:

> I'm looking for any and all references regarding psychophysical
> studies of auditory after-effects (in the same line as color or
> motion after-effects in vision).
>
> I vaguely remember reading an article abstract recently which
> dealt with this, but can't locate the precise reference.  Searches
> of SCI, PsycLit, Medline, etc. have yielded nothing, probably
> because the reference is too recent.

I had several pointers to the vast literature on adaptation, which is
much to broad to list here.  I will therefore only those on ``auditory
after-effects,'' excluding the speech literature for brevity's sake.

The references are listed in BibTeX format.

Many thanks to:
  Uwe Baumann, Max Cynader, Bob Carlyon, Laurent Demany, Kip Keller,
  Lonce LaMar Wyse, Bruno Repp, Kourosh Saberi, Zhengjin Shu

If I get significantly more responses, I'll add them to my bibliography
and make it available for FTP.  Otherwise, this is it. Thanks to all.

--david ascher

The article I was referring to in my posting is:

@Article{Shu93,
  author =       "Z. J. Shu and N. V. Swindale and M. S. Cynader",
  title =        "Spectral motion produces an auditory after-effect",
  journal =      "Nature",
  year =         "1993",
  volume =       "364",
  pages =        "721--723",
}

But I also got pointers to:

@Article{CioccaSub,
  author =       "Ciocca and Darwin",
  title =        "(submitted for publication)",
}

@Article{Darwin92,
  author =       "Darwin and Ciocca",
  title =        "",
  journal =      "Journal of the Acoustical Society of America",
  year =         "1992",
  volume =       "91",
  pages =        "3381--3390",
}

@InProceedings{Fastl86,
  author =       "H. Fastl",
  title =        "Auditory after-images produced by complex tones with
                  a spectral gap",
  note =      "paper B2-5",
  year =         "1986",
  organization = "Proceedings of the 12th International Congress on Acoustics",
  address =      "Toronto",
}

@Article{Gardner80,
  author =       "R. B. Gardner and J. P. Wilson",
  title =        "Evidence for direction-specific channels in the
                  processing of frequency modulation",
  journal =      "Journal of the Acoustical Society of America",
  year =         "1980",
  volume =       "66",
  pages =        "704--709",
}

@Article{Grantham79,
  author =       "D. W. Grantham",
  title =        "Auditory motion aftereffects",
  journal =      "Perception and Psychophysics",
  year =         "1979",
  volume =       "26",
  pages =        "403--408",
}

@Article{Grantham89,
  author =       "D. W. Grantham",
  title =        "Motion aftereffects with horizontally moving sound
                  sources in the free field",
  journal =      "Perception and Psychophysics",
  year =         "1989",
  volume =       "45",
  pages =        "129--136",
}

@Article{Grantham92,
  author =       "D. W. Grantham",
  title =        "Adaptation to auditory motion in the free field:
                  Effect of prior exposure to motion on motion detectability",
  journal =      "Perception and Psychophysics",
  year =         "1992",
  volume =       "52",
  pages =        "144--150",
}

@Article{Kay72,
  author =       "R.H. Kay and D. R. Matthews",
  title =        "",
  journal =      "Journal of Physiology",
  year =         "1972",
  volume =       "225",
  pages =        "657--677",
}

@Article{Kay82,
  author =       "R. H. Kay",
  title =        "",
  journal =      "Physiological Review",
  year =         "1982",
  volume =       "62",
  pages =        "894--975",
}

@PhdThesis{Krump93,
  author =       "Gerhard Krump",
  title =        "Beschreibung des akustischen Nachtones mit Hilfe
von Mithorschwellenmustern (Describing the auditory after-effect
with masking-patterns)",
  school =       "Technical University Munich",
  year =         "1993",
  address =      "Munich, Germany",
  note =   "See References section for further references",
}

@Article{Regan79,
  author =       "D. Regan and B. W. Tansley",
  title =        "Selective adaptation to frequency modulated tones:
                  evidence for an information processing channel
                  selectively sensitive to frequency changes",
  journal =      "Journal of the Acoustical Society of America",
  year =         "1979",
  volume =       "65",
  pages =        "1249--1257",
}

@Article{Summerfiedl84,
  author =       "Q. Summerfield and M. Haggard and J. Foster and S. Gray",
  title =        "Perceiving vowels from uniform spectra: Phonetic
                  exploration of an auditory aftereffect",
  journal =      "Perception and Psychophysics",
  year =         "1984",
  volume =       "35",
  pages =        "203--213",
}

@Article{Summerfield87,
  author =       "Q. Summerfield and A. Sidwell and T. Nelson",
  title =        "Auditory enhancement of changes in spectral amplitude",
  journal =      "Journal of the Acoustical Society of America",
  year =         "87",
  volume =       "81",
  pages =        "700-708",
}

@InCollection{Wilson70,
  author =       "J. P. Wilson",
  title =        "Frequency analysis and psychophysics of hearing",
  booktitle =    "Frequency Analysis and Periodicity Detection in Hearing",
  publisher =    "Sijhtoff",
  year =         "1970",
  editor =       "Promp and Smoorenburg",
  address =      "Leiden, Netherlands",
}

@Article{Wilson92,
  author =       "J. P. Wilson and E. J. Crampin and N. Cann",
  title =        "",
  journal =      "N. Brit. J. Audiol.",
  year =         "1992",
  volume =       "26",
  pages =        "188",
}

@Article{Zwicker64,
  author =       "Zwicker",
  title =        " ``Negative Afterimage'' in hearing ",
  journal =      "Journal of the Acoustical Society of America",
  year =         "1964",
  volume =       "36",
  pages =        "2413--2415",
}

@Book{Zwicker90,
  author =       "Zwicker and Fastl",
  title =        "Psychoacoustics -- Facts and models",
  publisher =    "Springer Verlag",
  year =         "1990",
  note =         "p. 117 ff",
}