Re: Auditory vrs. Visual Learning

Greg,
it must be plain that dyslexic people do hear and see as the rest of us do.
Dyslexia never 'existed' until it was noticed that certain head injury
patients had specific difficulty in reading while their general intellectual
skills were unimpaired, and then that some children displayed similar
symptoms without head injury, i.e. a developmental problem.

I have some references which I will pass on to you refering to
phonological segmentation, short term auditory/phonological memory and visual
tracking tasks. An as yet untested hypothesis is whether dyslexic children
have a general processing problem with quickly changing information, or
whether dyslexic children can be 'sub-typed' into dyseidetic and dysphonetic
readers having processing problems in different sensory areas.

Part of my PhD research is looking into non-speech audio perception to test
the hypothesis of whether the auditory processing problem in dyslexia is
truly phonetic (higher-levle speech specific) or of a more general auditory
character.

Will be in touch with the refs soon,

Kevin L. Baker
Department of Human Communication
De Montfort University, Leicester, LE7 9SU