hair cell- refs.

Dear List,
           thank you for the leads and references about hair cell
injury and regeneration.  Since others seemed interested in this
area as well, here's a summary of the responses I received:

 ".... the recent work of Doug Cotanch et al. at Boston U. is concerned e
 with hair cell regeneration in chicks"  .                              in

"Consult Jont Allen at AT&T Murray Hill. He's been at work on the
 Cochlea for years ..."                                                 ned

" Try Barbara Bohne or (Marty?) Silverman at CID ..."                   ohne,

" There was the special session at the ARO. Talk to the speakers
of that session."

" recently heard of a research group at the University of Virginia      d
headed by Jeff Corwin, who hace managed to grow hair cells from tissue
taken from either the vestibular canals or the cochlea (I forget        ow
which).  They are developing a derivative of Vitamin A which, they
report, stimulates the regeneration of hair cells from mouse embryos.
     Nor sure of the reference - try issues of Science in early March
'93."

Cam Marean (GCAMERON@U.WASHINGTON.EDU) at U.of Washington is working
on hair cell regeneration with Ed Rubel etc.  He might know of
relevant refs.

" There is a review of acoustic injury in the cochlea by
Saunders, Cohen, & Szymko in 1991 issue of JASA - vol 90, page
136-146.  This review includes a section onhair cell regeneration
in the chick. "

" see A. Forge, et al., Ultrastructural evidence for hair cell          n in th
regeneration in mammalian inner ear, Science 259, 1616-1618. "

" there is a recent one in Science that claims that regeneration is     le.
  possible"

 Pierre Divenyi has refs. on hair translplantation (on the head? -
 tongue in cheek?)

  I retrieved the JASA (1991) article mentioned above, and it is
  a comprehensive review with extensive references.

 Thanks Bill Woods, Rebecca Mercuri, Jont Allen, Chuck Watson,
 Kevin Baker, Linda Polka, Shari Campbell, Kathy Barsz, John Madden,
 for your help.
                 Punita