Regenerating Inner Hair cells

Dear Punita,
I recently heard of a research group at the University of Virginia headed
by Jeff Corwin who have managed to grow hair cells from tissue taken from
either the vestibular canals or the cochlea (I forget which). They are now
developing a derivative of vitamin A which, they report, stimulates the
regeneration of hair cells in tissue from mouse embryos. I'm not sure about
the reference - try issues of Science in early March '93.

Best wishes,
Kevin

        *  Kevin L. Baker                                               *
        *  Dept. of Psychology, University of Sheffield, S10 2UR, UK    *
        *  Tel: +44 742 826541     Fax: +44 742 766515                  *
        *  email: pc1kb@sunc.sheffield.ac.uk                            *