Audio technology

Hi,
   I'm looking for some illustrative examples of the impact of
Psychoacoustics research on the development of Audio Technologies.

Some recent developments in this area are the data-reduction coding
schemes used by Philips in designing the Digital Compact Cassette, and
by Sony in designing the Minidisc.  The data compression is based on
considerations of auditory masking, and limited frequency response.
     The descriptions I've run into about the underlying research that
led to these techniques are very scanty and basic.
      Does anyone out there have more detailed information on these, and
other techniques that evolved as a direct result of auditory research ?

 - Punita