Re: All you physiologists ...

--In "All you physiologists ..." (Jun 24, 22:55) "Albert Bregman, Tel:
 514-398-6103" wrote:
 |      The fact that offsets also benefit from the suddenness of
 | the change suggests that Kubovy's name "onset-segregation effect"
 | may be too specific.  Perhaps it is a "sudden-change" segregation
 | effect.
I don't have my data on this at hand right now. But I did study
offsets (by masking the onsets that followed them) and couldn't get
any segregation. I don't remember the spacing between the components
(but I believe they were 3-5 semits apart, and all < 1000 Hz). Here's the
stimulus:

8 _______________________________

7 _____________  ________________
               |_|
6 ___________________  ___________
					 |_|
                           |_|
etc. I.e., a chord of 8 or so components, log-equally spaced, abrupt
drops of 6 dB (?), 250 ms long.

This sounds like a descending sequence. If you mask the onsets by
introducing onsets at all other frequencies, the scale cannot be
heard. So I didn't think that it was a sudden-change effect.
introducing one at the end of each drop in intensity

Cheers,
|\  /| / MICHAEL KUBOVY (kubovy@virginia.edu)